The Power of the Slogan
Jun 06, 2023
"Good to the last drop."
"Snap! Crackle! Pop!"
"Taste the rainbow."
"Just Do It."
"Easy, breezy, beautiful…"
"You're in good hands."
If we were to put money on it, we'd wager you know exactly which companies we're talking about. Without mentioning names, your mind immediately went to the businesses they represent.
That is the power of the slogan.
Creating a strong brand identity is critical for success in today's competitive business landscape. Everyone wants a piece of the same pie, but there are only so many slices to go around. If you don't want to go hungry (both physically and metaphorically), you've got to position yourself strategically within your industry to "secure your slice" and avoid being left behind.
A well-crafted slogan is an essential tool to help you reinforce your brand identity. It can help you capture the attention of your target audience and serve as a concise representation of your unique selling proposition, offerings, values, and purpose.
Here are three benefits of a good slogan:
- Makes you memorable: It's all about the brand recall, baby. A catchy slogan sticks in the minds of consumers, making it more likely they'll think of YOUR brand when making purchasing decisions.
- Helps you stand out from the crowd: It can help you differentiate yourself from competitors by highlighting what sets your business apart. Blending in is for zebras on the Serengeti. We need you to be a loud and proud peacock showing off your stuff.
- Reinforces brand identity: A slogan serves as a reflection of your brand's personality, voice, and values, fostering a deeper connection with your target audience. (Coca-Cola's "Open Happiness" is a prime example of this.)
How do I create a slogan?
Time to dust off the ol' thinking cap and get those creative juices flowing. Here are eight things to keep in mind when creating your slogan.
- Understand your brand: Don't put the cart before the horse. First, make sure you understand your brand's identity, values, and target audience. You can't hope to create a meaningful slogan if you yourself don't understand the message you want to convey.
- Brainstorm: If you've got 'em, gather a mix of team members and engage in a collaborative brainstorming session. Encourage free-flowing ideas and explore different angles to capture the essence of your brand.
- Don't be afraid to get punny: Clever wordplay and puns can add a touch of humor or playfulness to your slogan, making it more memorable and engaging.
- Be authentic: Authenticity is the key to building trust and credibility with your audience. Whether you want to appear professional, playful, innovative, or irreverent, align your slogan with the overall image you want to project. Avoid generic phrases that could apply to any brand, and incorporate your brand's voice.
- Don't make it complicated: Keep your slogan concise and straightforward. Focus on delivering a clear message that resonates with your target audience.
- Highlight the benefits: Your slogan may communicate the value proposition and benefits your brand offers. ("Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there.”) Try to focus on the positive impact your products or services have on customers' lives.
- Choose your words carefully: Use powerful and emotive language that evokes an emotional response or paints a vivid picture in the minds of consumers. Like when you read, "Snap! Crackle! Pop!" - you can almost taste the Rice Krispies cereal on your tongue, right?
- Test it out: Not every idea is going to be a winner. Once you've gathered some potential slogans, get some feedback from trusted colleagues, friends, or even your target audience before making it official. Consider their feedback and response and adjust accordingly if needed.
Crafting an effective business slogan is a strategic endeavor that requires creativity, careful consideration, and a deep understanding of your brand. By developing a memorable and impactful slogan, you can position your business for success, differentiate yourself from competitors, and build a solid emotional connection with your target audience. Remember, a great slogan captures attention and reflects your brand's values, making it an integral part of your overall branding strategy.